This contains the thoughts, ramblings, laments, musings, rants, works of fact and fiction, journal entries and other random pieces of human food for thought, all fresh from the mind of one Kim Kaze - a British person with a penchant for the unusual, edgy and supernatural. What I bring may not be everybody's cup of tea ... but there again I can only bring you what I have; and this my friends, is me.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Double standard for freedom of expression

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4673908.stm (also many other sites)

Today, there was serious media and political unrest. Over ... cartoon drawings in newspapers. Of the prophet Mohammad, founder of the Islamic religion.

I have a problem with this. The whole point of critical awareness and examination of things is to accept criticism, providing that it is not inciting hatred or violence, and does not specifically attack one person who could then be harmed personally by those remarks.

Islam seems to be removing itself from the arena of comedy and artwork, enforcing the old law that Mohammad may not be depicted in art.

Images of Jesus which are often highly rude and suggestive of various non-christian things are frequently presented throughout global media, and are left un challenged almost entirely. It seems Christians, who are seen as a soft, loving majority who'd better shut up and not complain, are allowed and even expected to be silent in the face of highly critical and sometimes down right mocking (see a recent confession by the National Secular Society concerning their desire to mock religious people and their faith using free speech) attacks from secular folk as well as folk of other faiths.

There should quite blatently be one, global rule for everyone, for all depictions of anything or anyone - whether they support or deride a school of thought.

Of course people should act with respect. I have never disrespected a religion using images or lies. But freedom to do so in order to allow free criticism of all things equally must be in existance, otherwise what we have is a two tier system. A suspicious mind may say that a 'religion of peace' needs to back up that claim by not having gunmen surround an embassy to persuade governments to stop their press drawing cartoon images of Mohammad.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeremiah_Ecks said...

Believe me, after the things I've seen this past week, which you should read my blog about, I feel strongly on these matters - both this and the 'in my house' attitude below.

It's funny, TWICE I've heard in the past week, and both from 'posh' people or people with money and clout (in theaters that I went to) that England is no longer a democracy but is secretly now a dictatorship. It's all been done so subtly, though, that the teeming masses are apathetic to doing anything about it, and that civilisation as it stood has now past it's peak.

We are, basically, the Roman Empire all over again.

Some of the things I've seen this week make me agree. To be honest, I don't know why Tony Blair labels himself as a Christian, what with all the unfair persecution he brings to the church (or allows, shall I say) and yet allows for further tolerances to other religions - religions he is scared of.

In all seriousness, I am against persecution of *any* sort - I'd slap a Christian beating on Islam in a second, and I HAVE done so (as you know Kim - bull-in-a-china-shop. You know which blokey we mean by that phrase, eh? ;) ), but fair is fair and it goes both ways. Problem is, in this country Islam as a whole won't harp on about Christians. But the political masses do, by clamping down with rule after rule and 'tolerance' moan and groan after each moan and groan. I love to respect the government, and wouldn't actively teach anybody to go against them because the Bible says not to. But current government initiative makes me struggle.

The smoking ban is another sign of the dictatorship mentality. I HATE smoking, I hate it, it's killed off some of my family members, and I get VERY angry when I have to inhale passive smoking on the street. I actually cough. We have a smoker here at college and someone accused me of it - it also made me angry to even be accused of it. But I am more angry at the ban. Why? Because it wouldn't have been hard to retain the smoking thing for private clubs, where you are given choice. Instead, Nanny strikes once again and steals yet more freedom.

Trust me, England is no longer a democracy. In 50 years time, I'd not be surprised if somehow we end up with another Hitler, but this time his enemies are Christians and Jews.

2:44 PM, February 20, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home