This contains the thoughts, ramblings, laments, musings, rants, works of fact and fiction, journal entries and other random pieces of human food for thought, all fresh from the mind of one Kim Kaze - a British person with a penchant for the unusual, edgy and supernatural. What I bring may not be everybody's cup of tea ... but there again I can only bring you what I have; and this my friends, is me.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Ignite flares up for another term

Tonight during the local youth Bible study, praise and gathering known as 'Ignite' (Glue & Glue II for the younger ones) there was an incident during which I found myself the acting 'good cop' in a 'good cop, bad cop' scenario. It was a dangerous situation but thankfully I arrived in time to help out and Andy who is a Policeman, was there. Thank God for him because he was simply brilliant.

Basically a guy called Rich came into Ignite tonight to refuge from a group who also entered, ate the food and then got kicked out after declaring they wanted to shove this other guy's head in. Jess who was the girl of the group, started by saying he'd mugged her, but later admitted that was a lie. There were a lot of lies and exaggerations that night.

This group outside were doing a lot of big talking (I was insulted very badly the second I walked over there, which I dealt with by 'disarming verbally'), and it got physical after a while with Andy being tough on them. I was acting as 'good cop' and Andy (the real policeman) was 'bad cop' and was physically removing them and pushing them etc. He had to because they were needing it. They fled a bit several times (after trying to get back onto the property) then returned. In the end, Andy had to put an Act onto the girl there who was stirring, and she had to leave or face arrest. They ran off at this point and then stoned us by throwing stones from a driveway nearby on their route to go.

The stones all missed us but one hit and broke Mark's windscreen on his car (brand new). We had our backs to them when the first volley of stones came and it was a blessing and protection from God as far as I'm concerned, that not one of us was struck by a stone in the back of the head. There were two mums standing around talking to Andy and I at that point, and we were all technically vulnerable to the stones from behind.

At this point I told Andy what I'd seen (I saw the girl raising her arm for definite, and others as well in less detail) and he charged off to arrest the girl. I shadowed him from a distance as I was unsure what the rules are for civilian action unless provoked, but wanted to ensure Andy was safe.


He caught her but her boyfriend or male friend (who started the night by telling me he was gonna pound my effing face in and all that) got in the middle and separated them violently. Then the girl scarpered and the rest also ran before Andy could arrest the guy for stopping his arrest. I shadowed Andy to the end to ensure he was alright but didn't want to get too close in case I made it worse. If he'd been knocked down or under attack I would have gone straight in to intervene. I can't help it - that is just who I am. I would have helped at risk of my safety. I ain't made of glass. The guy kept asking me earlier could I take care of him and I told him that didn't matter; that yes I would defend myself but that I was not violent and that I wasn't going to engage with him in a debate about who was hard. He gave up and stopped at that point, but that was all earlier. I between them challenging Andy directly, I was able to talk to them a bit and try to calm the situation a little.

Then the on duty local cops came (Andy had called them earlier whilst I spoke to the kids trying to keep the peace, which I did in the main) and we had to do all the formal stuff; Jane had to make a statement I think.

In the meantime, Mark hears about his car window being cracked. He is cool though, and ministering to this guy Rich in the back. Rich gives his heart to the Lord and ends up being walked home by Mark. So at the end of the evening, we are one 'nice new car' down, and one soul up.

They were various ages, all under 18 though, I think. Mostly around 16 ish, and about 8 of them, maybe 9. One was on a push bike, and they were all male bar that one girl, whose name is Jess.

We are organising with the Youth Pastor and the up and coming church Pastor to get a team sorted out, so that we can continue to put things on for those who want to learn, and the few bad apples are dealt with. It is worth it though, it so is. And I am up for dealing with the problem young people.

We need to combine Street Level sometimes with Ignite, really. I told Mark this and he thinks it's a fantastic idea. That way, on weeks where it's kicking off up at the building, we stay on there as an outdoor team for the 'ruff outsiders'. When there is no one about, we shirk off and cover the town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home